Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 29 March 2010

Info Post

Attempting to recreate the moods of early 80s goth/new wave/dark post punk is a bold move, and hoping to nail the sound as perfectly as THE BELLICOSE MINDS would be nothing short of foolish..unless of course you happen to be THE BELLICOSE MINDS. This 5 song demo was recorded last year and they so seamlessly bridge the gap between my youth and the resurgence of seemingly everything that existed culturally in the time of my youth that I find myself with no words to describe the demo.  The bass sounds like early CURE, but without the flanger, the guitar is layered perfectly and simultaneously reminds me of the 80s and modern bands trying to ape the 80s (which, honestly, is exactly what these folks are), but the vocals have a lost mournful yearning that takes everything over the top. But what makes this, is that somehow you can tell that they are punk. I'm not sure how I can tell (perhaps the fact that I bought this at a punk show is a significant contributing factor - but the ripping 1:25 "Hammer of Ice" certainly drives it home), but it gives these songs something more than just a bunch of folks with a goth obsession and some keyboards can manufacture....I know that there are only going to be more bands cropping up like this, but let me assure you that THE BELLICOSE MINDS are head and shoulders above the minions.


The start of the first track "Oppression Depression" is cut off...that's how my time came, so that's how you hear it (see, I told you they were punks). Also, check out the lyrics to "Bloody Hands," fucking vicious.  This rules.

0 comments:

Post a Comment