Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday 2 August 2012

Info Post

SUBMISSION HOLD are probably a "time and place" band for many people (including myself). I think if I heard most of their recorded output today, without context, then I might not be as drawn to the band as I was 15+ years ago when our paths kept crossing on west coast tours. Perhaps the pairing of drug addled hardcore punk outcasts with musically challenging and intellectually advanced anarcho/feminist/activist punks from Vancouver might seem a touch odd, but I assure you that in 1995 it made perfect sense and we all got along swimmingly. Their music requires full attention and comparisons to UK bands CHUMBAWAMBA and CRASS are not out of line, even if the similarities are more in ultimate effect than musical approach. This 1994 demo was the introduction to a band that went on to help solidify the political approach that shaped 1990s DIY punk. 

Jen & Andy, if you read this, one of my band members might have peed on your sofa bed in 1996. I'm sorry, but I assure you that yours was not the only one. It was a rough tour.

0 comments:

Post a Comment